Monday 6 February 2012

Staying active

I have reached the age where I can no longer take good health for granted. Keeping healthy and staying fit is hard work. Just a few days of slacking can undo all the good you have done throughout the year.

The daily walks with Rusty is hardly enough for me to stay trim. It doesn't raise my heart beat or make me sweat. A more intense workout like running is still necessary, in addition to watching my diet.

Alas, after laying off for several months, I still struggle to get the groove back after starting 2 weeks of running. It used to be as easy as putting on the shoes, zipping out of the door and covering 5km effortlessly. It'll take me another couple of weeks before I can run so easily again. Now I can understand why sportsmen get so frustrated when they can't train because of an injury.

So, it was with much psyching before I headed out this morning. I felt so tired even after a good night's sleep but by the time I ran to the canal, the rising sun made me feel energised all at once. I stopped to take in the breath-taking view before continuing the run. I only did 30 minutes today but it's better than nothing.

Last weekend, after dropping YK off at the fish farm at Pasir Ris, I drove to Lorong Halus Wetlands to check the place out. I didn't quite know what to expect and thought all I could see was a marshland transformed from a landfill.

I was in for a surprise. Besides being a biodiversity haven for plants, birds and other wildlife, the wetlands also uses innovative systems incorporating plants and ponds to collect and treat water. A large dam in the distance shows that it is more than a leisure park.

An impressive pedestrian bridge, with Serangoon River running beneath, connects Lorong Halus to Punggol new town.

I was really impressed with the running track and facilities across the bridge. The clear stream and rolling hills made me feel as if I were out in the countryside. The truth is, the bustling Punggol town is just steps away. The residents are lucky to have easy access to the park.

It was too hot for me to linger but I'll definitely be back for a good long run one day.

2 comments:

Amel said...

WOW!!! A feast for the eye...esp. that sunrise pic. GORGEOUS!!!

GOOD LUCK in getting back in shape concerning your exercise regime!!!

Malar said...

Beautiful wetland!
Talking about staying fit...I'm feeling guilty now.....

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...