Wednesday 9 November 2011

Salt-baked

If you have run out of ideas of what to cook for dinner, choose the easiest way out. It was one of those nights when I was pressed for time and everyone (including Rusty) was hovering around like angry, I mean hungry birds when I came up with a good idea.

I literally buried a (dead) flounder in rock salt and tossed the entire parcel in the oven. Prior to baking, I stuffed fresh rosemary and parsley in the fish's cavity. The result was lovely as the flesh turned out moist and infused with the herb's flavours. The meat was a bit too salty.

The choice of fish is important. Choose one that has thicker skin or one with the scales intact so that the salt will not penetrate into the flesh.

This salt-baked recipe will work with chicken as well. Go experiment now!

3 comments:

Amel said...

I LOVE salted fish...my MIL makes salted salmon and we usually eat it with rye bread and cheese. She doesn't bake them in the oven, though. Just leave it be in the fridge for 2 days, then slice it up thin to eat with the bread...but then again it's more like snack than a full-blown meal hi hi...

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh this is interesting

The World According To Me said...

I might try that!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...