Thursday 3 March 2011

Anniversary

I just realised that today would have been my 20th wedding anniversary, if I were still married that is. That got me thinking about how marriages fail.

It always warms my heart to see a loving couple chatting endlessly about anything and everything under the sun. My best friend is one good example. Even after 3 decades, she never run out of topics to discuss with her husband.

I guess I wasn't so lucky. Maybe we didn't try hard enough. Afterall, maintaining a relationship is a lot of hard work. Our 10-year marriage was peppered with arguments instead of conversations. Angry and hurtful words were hurled at each other on a daily basis. Sadly, that wiped out whatever love and respect we had for each other.

Then again, a relationship starts to go downhill when the couple run out of things to say to each other. A healthy relationship thrives on healthy communication. Without that, couples start to drift apart and come to a dead end.

Why am I musing about this today? I also don't know. Anyway, I have to run off for a meeting now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're all brainwashed to think that marriages should last forever, but why should it? Enjoy it whilst it is good, then move on. A divorce is terrible only if you think it is.

Amel said...

Well, it's only normal to think about such things on your "supposed-to-be anniversary", Ting...I agree that when couples start to drift apart, then the relationship would come to a dead end.

One friend once told me that in a relationship (any kind) there's this "third entity" called the relationship itself. It needs to be nurtured - if not then disconnection starts and there'll be a huge gap between the two and it's gonna be hard to bridge the gap again unless the two of them work REALLY REALLY hard together.

JY69 said...

Marriages are hard...and there are the few "lucky" ones that last.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

*hugs* What is important is is that you are happy now and very blessed with CK and lovely children! :)

Petunia Lee said...

Better happily divorced than unhappily married.

Malar said...

You have wonderful life now with CH and your sons! You deserve this beautiful life!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...