Wednesday 24 February 2010

A good start

I started my first gardening session with the school kids yesterday. I must say they're quite a handful but still, we all had a great time.

My last teaching stint was a long time ago when I worked as a relief teacher while waiting for my GCE 'A' level results. It was a daunting experience for an 18-year old. I was the form teacher of a primary 4 class in a neighbourhood school. The kids were not the most well-disciplined and I struggled to keep them under control.

It was the first time I came face to face with kids from diverse backgrounds. Many from troubled homes had difficulty paying school fees (already heavily subsidised by the government). Discipline was clearly lacking. Kids played and wandered out of the classroom while I was conducting lessons, it was exasperating.

Physical education (PE) lessons were the worst. My students ran all over the school field like wild horses, I had difficulty reining them in. Other teachers looked on with amusement while they organised their charges into rows without having to raise their voice. I was too busy yelling and pulling my hair out to care.

Nobody gave me any guidelines or showed me the ropes. I was given some text books and thrown in at the deep end. I stayed up at night to prepare lesson plans and test papers. I was particularly clueless when it came to music lessons. I think I taught the class 'Yankee Doodle.' It was lame but what do I know about music? I was desperate.

Once I had to bring a primary 8 class for PE lessons. It was a special class for retainees (and many troublemakers). The kids were mostly 14-year olds. And I was only 18! As you can imagine, my instructions mostly flew over their heads.

Everyday posed a new challenge. I was stressed out and I watched the older teachers breeze through their day with envy. They wore a smug look, as if they were happy to see me suffer.

I was quite relieved when my stint was over but my students were sad to see me leave. Many wrote me cards and letters. Some even said I was the best teacher they've ever had. It was very touching, I still keep those cards.

Now that I have kids of my own and more life experience behind me, I should make a better teacher this time round. I hope my time (only 2 hours a week) with these kids will be put to good use and I can instill some good values in them through gardening. It is a good start.

11 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

This is a touching post. I was between laughing and crying. Funny and poignant. Good read!

Blur Ting said...

Petunia - Those were the days. Looking back, they were character building days :-)

Open Kitchen Concept said...

I did relief teaching too whilst waiting for my A level results! Such a coincidence.. hehe.. Only I was teaching Sec school. The students knew I was very young so I always had discipline problems.. I had to experience public canning of a boy in my class and when the cane went "smack".. I cried.. :-s

Amel said...

WOW!!! That must've been quite an experience...I first started teaching a class of students in an English course when I was 18 as well, BUT my students were 8-12 years old. However, due to my height, one of them was so naughty that on the first day, he DARED measured his height against mine as I was writing something on the whiteboard he he he...

It's SO sweet what they did to you: write you the cards and letters. I can't imagine how tough it must've been for you to have to handle 14-years-old when you were only 18. Geez...

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

ah, Life. amazing, ain't it?

Blur Ting said...

OKC - Wow, secondary school kids ust be even more tough to control! Oh dearie, if my student got caned, I would cry too :-P

Blur Ting said...

Amel - We were all relief teachers! :-) It was a good experience wasn't it?

Blur Ting said...

Fry - Guess what? That was Boon Lay Pri Sch!

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

OMG!! and you travel all the way to the west for it! *salutes*

ooeii, if got time next time, jio me go larr-teh leh. *WIDE GRIN*

Blur Ting said...

Fry - No, Boon Lay Pri was when I was 18. The school that I volunteer now is in the East.

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

=____=

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...