Friday 16 October 2009

Movie night


Anyone who loves to eat, cook and blog should watch Julie & Julia. Well, I enjoyed every minute of it. Meryl Streep is simply adorable as Julia Child. She throws herself into the role wholeheartedly, she's such a joy to watch. Her humour had me roaring with laughter at times, it made me wish I could live life with such panache and passion as her.

Julie Powell, played by Amy Adams, makes me see a bit of myself as one who's always trying to find balance between cooking, work and family. I found myself gasping in the scene where she was fighting with her husband who said she had turned into a self-centered and narcissistic blogger. Woops...

I could empathise with her meltdowns as well. On days when everything falls apart, you wonder why you're punishing yourself with the regime. The scene of her sprawled on the kitchen floor, bawling her heart out was poignant. Then just as suddenly, she picked herself up and pulled herself together to answer an important phone call from an editor of a magazine. It's quite a story of my life too.

At some point, it made me go "Gee, I should have thought of that too!" You know, like how Julie started a blog that chronicles her journey as she cooks every recipe in the first cookbook Julia Child co-authored. The blog sort of helped her fulfill her dream as a writer.

In a nutshell, the movie, which focuses on food, maybe plotless but is well executed. Here, food is also a metaphor for love and passion. Both women have a supportive husband who eats everything the wife cooks with gusto. Yes, it's charming to watch. Even CH and YK enjoyed it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really want to see it!

The World According To Me said...

Good recomendation. I've never seen a film which features blogging. Think I will have to watch it.

charlie hotel said...

I looked up videos of Julia Child on YouTube to see if she really talks like that. I think Meryl Streep went a little overboard with the voice. She sounds like a parody of Queen Elizabeth!

WaterLearner said...

Looks like a good show to catch!

Have a Great Weekend!

Amel said...

MY kind of movie, too!!! I should watch it later on (though I bet R2 doesn't want to HA HA HA...). Meryl Streep is such a powerful actress. I like her.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...