Sunday 8 February 2009

What recession?

I brought the kids to Fish & Co for late lunch yesterday. Actually, if you have teenagers like me, you take them where they want to go or you'll end up with a bunch of bored kids. So our weekend jaunts are usually centered around fish farms and aquariums. Doesn't matter if their mother is bored or not. One bored mum is better than 2 bored teenagers.

So we drove to Jurong Point Mall which is all the way across the island. That's the other thing about teenagers. Out of the several Fish & Co outlets in Singapore, they had to choose the one furthest away. I just don't see the logic. Good thing it's near my parent's place which was where we were heading after lunch.

Anyway, Jurong Point has recently added a new wing and is now a humongous shopping arcade. I thought we could do a bit of shopping after lunch but there were throngs of people everywhere, in every nook and corner, we had to weave in and out of the crowd to get to the restaurant. It made me wonder out loud about the recession.

YK couldn't help but quip, "You're the only one facing recession in Singapore lah!"

We ended up feeling so stuffed after eating fish & chips, grilled calamari and seafood platter (grilled fish, mussels, squid and prawns served on a bed of buttered rice and lots of french fries). It's not exactly the healthiest meal but we don't eat out very often these days, an occasional treat like this is ok.

It didn't come cheap either. I told the kids I could cook the same thing for a fraction of what we've paid. It's true. Eating out is a big expense. If you cook your own meals like I do, you'll realise that you can do so healthily and economically.

The Sunday Times was teaching people how to prepare their own romantic dinner on Valentine's Day. It's definitely a money saver.

I say if they grow their own vegetables and pick their own flowers from the garden, they'll save even more. They may be labelled a cheap skate though.

5 comments:

J@n!ce said...

We finally managed to enter the car park to JP 2 weeks ago. We had to go in at around 11+ am. When we left the place around 2pm, there was a huge jam at the outside!!

I rem there is a promo at Fish & Co. Buy 3 get 1 free using Citibank card. Not sure if the promo still valid :)

Blur Ting said...

Yesterday we drove in without any problem at all. There were some empty lots inside the carpark. I didn't see the promo and forgot to ask the waiter. Aiya!

mooiness said...

Actually, for a guy to grow his own flowers and pick them, and give it to his Valentine might be endearing to some. ;)

Blur Ting said...

Mooiness - You have a point.

One year, I saw this guy buying flowers at a flowershop during Valentine's day. He asked about the prices of roses, tulips etc and I could see he was quite appalled with the unusually high prices. Finally, he picked some yellow chrysanthemums, the kind that people buy to put on the buddhist altar as offering. :-)

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I've been wondering the same thing too. Everyone is still spending like there's no tomorrow out there. Just like what YK said, I think I'm the only one facing a recession too ... LOL!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...