Wednesday 18 February 2009

What the fish?

My workday is almost over and I'm not even rejoicing. In fact, I am suffering from inflammed ulcers, I have no mood to do anything at all. Besides the broken lips, several new ulcers have popped up under my tongue, now I have a swollen tongue to match. My mouth is on fire!

What have I done to deserve this? I suppose you can't imagine how few little ulcers can bring so much pain and misery. Let's just say you can't even tempt me with the most expensive dish of foie gras topped with caviar and truffle shavings now. No wonder they say health is wealth.

Apart from the pain, my day was rather ordinary. We had four meetings and thankfully didn't run into any more competition in the form of sweet young things. Lunch today was a rather simple affair at a hotel cafe. I ordered fish fillet soup. When the bowl of steaming soup arrived, I kept fishing around but managed to haul up only rice noodles and green vegetables. Finally I summoned the waiter over and asked "Where's the fish?"

He took my bowl away and returned with another one topped with big chunks of tempura fish. Apparently the kitchen had forgotten to add in the fish. $12++ for a bowl of rice noodles and 2 strands of vegetables, they must be joking!

Anyway, I got my fish but could not really enjoy the meal because of my sore mouth. It's almost time for dinner and the pain is still not abating. It hurts to even think about food now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel.. I get those from time to time and they take AGES to heal.. gosh.. Hope you are better soon...

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

a faster but more painful way = put honey on it. i used to bite meself when i was younger, on the same spot + a few times. it's sheer HELL, man. so when i read your entry, i cringe from my memory of those days..... =(((

in the meantime, take cold milk. helps to heal also. then take vit C (1,000mg) for like 2 weeks so healing is faster. 1,000mg Vit C can be taken for such cases but not permanently, likely to create kidney stones.

all the best, sister! =)

Blur Ting said...

JY - I grew up with a mouth full of ulcers all the time. I should have gotten used to this by now but I guess one never gets used to pain.

Blur Ting said...

Fry - Thanks for the tip. The honey one sounds quite tempting but for some reason, they don't hurt quite as badly now. Maybe the painkiller has taken effect but if it still hurts alot when I wake up tomorrow, I'll do the honey treatment.

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

wah, your mom took lots of heaty tonics when she was pregnant with you?

Blur Ting said...

No lah. I think it was due to my body's deficiency in something. I don't get it so often now.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...