Friday 5 September 2008

Pasta Vongole

I saw some fresh clams at the fishmonger's this morning. Only $2 a kg! It's funny how when you eat clam or vongole pasta at the restaurants, you have to pay something like $16 a plate. Even then, you can count the number of clams inside. How can something so cheap become such an expensive dish I wonder?
So I bought $2 worth of clams today.
Soak the clams in salt water for about an hour to remove the grit inside.

Sautee some garlic and chopped chilli in olive oil before adding in the clams and scallions. I try not to stir them around too much or they'll scratch my pan. The clams will start producing moisture but you can add some chicken stock or water if you like.


Simmer until the clams are all open. Season with some salt. At this point, you can add a splash of white wine if you like. I tossed in some chopped fresh mint from the garden.


Pour the clams into a pot of newly cooked pasta. Remember to drain the water from the pasta first! Let the mixture sit for a few minutes so that the nice gravy will infuse into the hot pasta.

Serve. Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Mmmmm that looks delicious!! I always worry about making shellfish wrong at home and giving myself food poisoning ;-)

The World According To Me said...

I don't believe I have ever eaten clams?
Looks very tasty though. And far cheaper than a restaurant.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...