Saturday 13 September 2008

Friday Night


Friday night turned out better than expected. After cooking curry chicken for the boys (above), I left to meet up with our good friends Chris and EY for dinner at Big D's.
.
Since CH and I arrived 30 minutes earlier, we snuck to the Hill Street char kway teow stall for our quick fix. We ordered a small plate and gosh, that was the best char kway teow we had in a long, long time. I remember eating at this stall as a teen when it was still at Hill Street. The stall owner has been frying this same dish for 46 years. He has honed his skills to perfection! The noodle is moist, smooth with the right amount of sweet and savoury sauce. Sadly he hasn't trained anyone to take over his stall when he retires.
.
We adjourned to Big D's situated at the next block. The rumours we've heard about how cute the owner is... well, it is a fact! He's tall, broody and seriously cute. Even EY thinks so. But of course we were there for the cuisine, so we ordered the specialty.
.
CH ordered the US Kurobuta Pork Chop while I decided to try the fish and chips. The pork chop, at $36 a pop, is worth every cent. The meat was pinkish in the centre and oh so juicy. I must admit I'm not much of a meat eater but this was very palatable and strangely addictive. For some reason, it was really succulent and tasted a little like beef, albeit smoother in texture. It's so very good!
.
The beer battered fish and chips was a disappointment. The batter was overcooked and the choice of fish wasn't exactly my favourite. By the time I was halfway through the meal, the fish had become flaky, dry and tasteless. I think my brother makes better fish & chips at home using dory.
.
Still, I had an excellent culinary experience last night having tasted two highly recommended dishes by my favourite food blogger.
.
After dinner, all of us went back to my apartment. I brought out the South African Rose and we sat around chatting the night away. Later in the night, we went to the 24-hour food centre round the corner for hot ginger tea before calling it a night.
.
What a wonderful night it turned out to be!

1 comment:

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

That chicken curry looks pretty good. Reminds me that I have to pester wifey to make some for me tomorrow ... LOL!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...