Monday 25 August 2008

Wishy washy

When we were living with my parents, you could always find me in my room, working away on my laptop. Nowadays, you will surely find me in the backyard, working my washing machine. I must say the hardest worker in the house is not me, but the washer!

I don't know how a family of 3 can generate so much laundry. The first thing I do when I get home is put the clothes in the washer. The moment the laundry basket is emptied, it starts filling up again. The school uniforms and home clothes get washed daily. Before the machine gets a rest, the towels go in next, then the sheets followed by the rugs. It's an endless cycle!

The dryer works just as hard. In the past, the laundry dries quickly out in the yard where it's always sunny and breezy. We didn't even have a dryer. Here in the apartment, we can't live without one. We don't get enough sunshine in the little yard. Besides, it has been rainy since we moved in. I kind of miss the toasty smell of the sun in my clothes.

Last night, SK wanted me to go with him for a swim. "Sorry not today. I've got loads of laundry to do." This morning, I put another load of clothes in the dryer before I left for work.

Funny how my life is beginning to revolve round the washing cycle...

10 comments:

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I know how that feels. We have the same problems here. We're only a family of four but just by looking at our laundry everyday you'd think there were a dozen people living here ... LOL!

My washing machine probably is the hardest worker in my family too :D

Blur Ting said...

Nick -I think part of the problem lies in the fact that our kids are boys. Boys are more sweaty and active, so they change more clothes. Plus, they are bigger size, so the clothes are bigger!

WaterLearner said...

Haha ..

I know what you mean. You have two boys to take care. Definitely loads of laundry to catch up! It's only me and hubs, but we already have to do laundry at least twice a week. I am thinking also of buying a dryer. Eh, dryers will damage clothes or not huh?

Anonymous said...

I minimise laundry by going shirtless at home everyday!

Anonymous said...

u can say that again... ditto here.. cuz coffee is like papa & changes several times a day!

Blur Ting said...

Hey Water - I never like dryers actually. I have just started using, so it is too soon to tell but I can already see my favourite t-shirt aging after a couple of spins in the dryer. That particular t-shirt started having those little tiny balls forming on the surface.

Generally, it is ok for most clothing but best is to avoid putting expensive working gear in the dryer.

Blur Ting said...

CH - The boys are not used to going shirtless. Like me, they don't want to show off their blubber!

Blur Ting said...

JY - Yah, I wonder why they have to keep changing several times a day too! When it is their turn to do laundry, I'm sure that will put a stop to the clothes changing!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Housework really never ends :()

And if you go swimming, you have extra towels to wash, then all the swim wear which needs to be handwashed - ohhhh, I'll give it a pass if I think about it for a minute.

Blur Ting said...

Oh MH - When it comes to washing, you know best! They both went swimming that day and yah, ended up with extra towels to wash!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...