Wednesday 13 August 2008

Favourite pieces

Some of my favourite pieces arrived today. I'm too excited, I have to show you right away!

I surprised myself by chosing these lightings at lightning speed last week. While I always like the gothic type of chandeliers, I had never imagined having them in my house simply because the decor magazines are featuring them to death. But when I entered the lighting shop and saw these charming hanging things, I just couldn't resist buying... not one, but two!


This chandelier with black crystals now hangs above our dining table.


This is how it looks at night. Isn't it charming?

Here it is again, reflected in the wall mirror. This will be the last time you see a mirror image because the mirror will be frosted tomorrow. Yah, yah, it has something to do with fengshui. Despite the kids' protests, I'm not changing my mind. I'll show you when it's done. It'll be nice, I promise.

This black beady one in my bedroom is very Victorian and lends a feminine touch to my room.

You should know by now that I have a thing for trees. In fact, we have motifs featuring trees around the house which I'll show when ready. When I saw this cabinet with a tree attached at Ikea, I had to bring it home! The parcel was so darn heavy, I literally dragged it into my car, into the elevator and my house. I'm so thankful that SK helped me to assemble the entire fixture together. There were a million parts to deal with! Look at the end result. It fits so well in my bedroom. I'm going to hang my handbags on the branches.
Can you see the long oak console behind? It's from Ikea too. Another killer weight package that I lugged home and assembled all by myself! It has a drawer with a spacious tray for all my jewelry.

I fell in love with this little wooden table with shiny chrome legs when I first laid eyes on it. It's very unusual because the top is made using many thin wooden strips melded together into a wooden block. I could use it alone as a stool, a bedside table or even a little worktop to put my laptop while watching TV. Or I could join 2 together to form a little bench (below).

I bought 2 pieces and almost wanted to call up and ask for another 2 more. Lucky thing I didn't because the kids aren't too crazy about them. Oh well... 2 is enough.

I bought this outdoor set from Natural Living, the shop that sold me those wooden benches above. They look a little pale and unattractive in my patio but when I throw on my stripey cushions (below) and place them near the lush greenery...

Voila! Now, it looks just like a resort in Bali!

You can tell by now that I love wooden stuff. I bought this teak cabinet with completely no idea where to place it. When it arrived today, I put it at the end of the long hallway and hey, it's not a bad idea at all. YK and I love the candlestand from Ikea. I just want to kick myself. When I saw the older design on sale ($9.90) at Ikea, I thought I should buy it later. When we went back again, they had phased in a newer design which cost $59! Except for slight modifications to the base, they look quite similar actually.


Here's a closer look at the banana chair and shaggy rug. They're now the favourite places to lounge infront of the TV...until the sofa arrives tomorrow. We'll see.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can feel your excitement from here!

Anonymous said...

Wow! nice furniture and you seem to have fun! We'll be going through the process of moving home early next year because of the kids' school. I was really dreading the idea until I read your post tonight - maybe not so bad after all :-)

The World According To Me said...

Hey, thanks for showing us. I love nosing around other peoples homes at their interior.

Love the banana chair and stripy cushions, good choice. Also love the teak cabinet, I would buy that if I had a home! Actually, everything looks great.

Keep the pictures coming!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Wow, looks like some pretty neat stuff you have there. I'm excited just looking at the pictures alone. I can imagine the thrill you're feeling :D

Blur Ting said...

CH - Can't help it :-)

Blur Ting said...

CKL - Oh, you're coming back? I dread moving too but this time it is a little better cos we have no existing furniture to move. All the packing and unpacking...that's the worst. But I'm sure you'll have fun shopping for your new home in Singapore! That's probably the best part.

Blur Ting said...

Hey World - Guess what. The sofa arrived and took up so much space, the banana chair is a little bit lost now. I'm struggling to find a special nook for it but the apartment's so small and the chair is too big to be moved into my bedroom. It can't even go through the hallway.

Blur Ting said...

Nick - It's fun and exciting when everything's brand new. I'm not sure how long we can stay excited :-)

The World According To Me said...

Oh, don't you hate it when that happens! What a shame it can't be moved into your bedroom.
I hope you find that special nook soon...

Anonymous said...

No, not going back to S'pore - moving to the other side of the swan river to be closer to the kids' school :-)

The Real Mother Hen said...

I do like the black chandeliers, A LOT!!! :)

Blur Ting said...

hey World, it is staying put in the living room, next to its sleek cousin. Doesn't matter if they don't match :-)

Blur Ting said...

CKL- Ah,I should have figured that out :-) You went there for the better education system!

Blur Ting said...

MH - They're nice but I now find the one in my bedroom too bright! If I turn it on at night,it feels like day. Not romantic at all :-)

Amel said...

WOW!!! Glorious chandelier! LOVE it!!! And I LOVE the wooden thingies!!! Enjoy your new home! ;-D

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...