Thursday 29 May 2008

Priorities

The Great Singapore Sale has begun. When I was in town for a lunch meeting yesterday, I saw discount signs everywhere. When I was at the mall this morning, I was drawn to the shops offering huge discounts.

Everything looked so tempting, I wanted to buy them all. In the past, I would have bought anything I fancied without thinking very hard. Things are different now. I consider very carefully before making a purchase. I've stopped making frivolous or impulsive buys. My new mantra is "Is this item necessary?" Nine out of ten times, it isn't.

With an empty house to furnish, things like clothes and shoes go way down on my priority list. Yet it's funny how the priority list keeps expanding day by day. At first, I thought furniture was all I needed. Then I realise I need sheets for the beds. And towels. And rugs. And blankets.

Today I added rice cooker to the list. And wok. And pots and pans. Of course, we need detergent and cutlery too.

Oh, when is the list going to end?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's old is new again. Just fish out the old clothes and wear them. I'll never know the difference! :-)

Blur Ting said...

Funny, I was thinking of the exact same thing that day except that I need my old figure again. Nothing old can fit into this new padded body I'm afraid :-)

Amel said...

Yeah, I know what you mean...you need SO MUCH stuff when you're moving into your own place...

Prioritizing things is very important. ;-D GO, Blur!!!!!

The Real Mother Hen said...

hehe the list never ends :) in a way it is good though, it's like a never-ending pet project :)

Need to include pillows, shoe rack, vase, kettle, oven, plates, cups, etc etc... if you go say Ikea buying those $1 to $2 stuff, it will add up to be a few hundreds too. Very scary!!! :o

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...