Wednesday 21 May 2008

The dentist

I went for an urgent dental treatment yesterday after one part of my molar chipped off while I was brushing my teeth. Thanks to Mother Hen, I was able to pull some strings and get to see the dentist amidst her packed schedule.

The lady dentist is a very attractive and chatty lady who seems quite happy to conduct a monologue. I mean how was I supposed to talk when my mouth was stuffed with all kinds of gadgets and instruments?

The moment I sat down on the big dental chair, she peered inside (dentists love me because my mouth is so big!) and said, "Huh, you like to eat hard stuff. I can tell alot by looking at your teeth you know? The sharp edges are no longer sharp and the flat ones are getting flatter. Maybe you like to sit in front of the TV and munch on peanuts and dried cuttlefish..."

At this point, I wanted to protest but no use. I don't watch TV alot and hardly snack. They're probably worn out because I grind my teeth when I sleep.

When she asked "Do you floss?" I wanted to say "Of course! Twice a day! You can't tell how clean they are? " but I could only mumble "Uh-huh" as she examined my pearlies with the sickle probe.

I must say she's a really fast worker who could work on two fillings simultaneously, give instructions to her assistant and hold a conversation with me all at the same time. I was in and out of there in no time at all.

I never liked going to the dentist but yesterday's visit wasn't so scary afterall.

When we were in primary school, the sour-faced dental nurse would come into the class with a name list. I always prayed she wouldn't call my name. She would march us across the road, to the clinic up the hill, wielding a cane in case anyone of us strayed. We would wait nervously for our turn in the room that reeked of antiseptic and filled with all kinds of drilling and gurgling sounds. All kinds of painful cries from tooth extractions too. Oh what a horrible memory!

12 comments:

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted so fast. It drives me mad when my dentist tries to chat to me. I also always wish they'd put something interesting to look at on the ceiling when you're laid back in that chair ;-)

Blur Ting said...

Ah yes, now that you mentioned it, an movie on the ceiling would be great. I kept staring at the strong spotlight until I saw black spots everywhere and my eyes hurt. Some nice music to drown the noise would be good too.

Anonymous said...

nasty dentists.... i have been very lucky in that i havent had to use the drill or any other weird sounds on my teeth..but yeah...a movie showing on the ceiling would be cool...and nice elevator music.

Anonymous said...

When I visited the dentist last week she had new age music playing to calm her patients. It had the opposite effect on me because I hate new age music!

Unknown said...

a cane?!
i love going to the dentist, for a cleaning anyway, somebody else gets to clean my teeth for a change.
my gynecologist has interesting pictures on the ceiling. gives me something to look at and talk about while he's down there.

Blur Ting said...

Woah JY, you have good healthy teeth! I must have eaten too much candy growing up, I have fillings!

Blur Ting said...

CH - I bet you wanted to tell her but you couldn't right? Cos you mouth was wide open!

Blur Ting said...

Seagrape - Yup, a cane! And it wasn't just for show. I had seen her using it on some kids!

Wow, that sounds like a cool idea, to have a painted ceiling... This dental clinic is very simply furnished. My other dentist has a posh set up but then they're alot more expensive.

SOUL said...

i hate being scolded by the dentist-- but it happens almost every time--ever since i was a kid-- bad teeth run in my family tho--what can i say?

happy to hear your experience wasn't horrible.

happy thursday.

The Real Mother Hen said...

Haha she really talks a lot right? :)

La delirante said...

I hate going to the dentist :) It makes me so scared :(

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Ugh Dentists. Nasty People who are secretly sadistic pain giving people ... LOL! I have a phobia for dentists! I wonder what that phobia is called ... LOL!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...