Sunday 4 November 2007

Me and my thoughts

I have been tagged by Flying Pink Elephants to do the 'eight things about me and my thoughts' meme. I have written enough about myself before but if you still want to hear them all over again, here goes...

I try to accept people for who they are. Unlike many parents who are never satisfied with their kid’s learning abilities or the way they look, I am always thankful that mine are normal. I don’t expect them to be geniuses since I am not one myself.

While it is important to nurture the kids, I feel that most parents focus too much energy on the kid's academic performance, depriving them of a fun, well-rounded childhood. In the process, they neglect their own well-being too and end up feeling resentful in the later years. Sad to say, they’re the ones who set themselves up for this. Parents need to get a life too.

I try to embrace a balanced lifestyle. While work helps to bring in the dough, it is not everything. I don’t want to die at my work desk. I want to keep myself fit, see the world and broaden my mind.

I am easily satisfied. I don’t ask for too much and am grateful that life is good to me. I live within my means. I have a good family, kids and close friends around me. Plus the ability to work and bring up my kids properly… that, is already a blessing.

When I was younger, I used to feel insecure around ‘influential’ people. Now, I realize that everyone has his own place in this world and should be treated fairly. The CEO of a big corporation becomes a commoner when he is out of his office and is in no way, more superior than anyone else. But of course, we know that life is not equal. Go read Animal Farm.

I dislike the fact that money is power. I hate it when I am sometimes in awe and envious of wealthy people. So what if they are rich? I don't need to impress anyone. I think it is foolish for the 'wannabes', who can't afford it, to live it up. Is it glamorous to be saddled with debts?

I recognise that our lives are constantly evolving everyday and our priorities change as we grow. Nothing is cast in stone. What’s important today may not be so important few years or even weeks down the road.

I see no point in sweating too much over the small stuff. I prefer to look at big picture and get things done. People who’re anal about every littlest thing or dwell on insignificant details stress me out.

I dislike confrontations. I almost always lose in an argument. If someone yells at me, I burst into tears right away. Being yelled at alot while I was married didn't make me any tougher. Yah, I am delicate like that.

I think I have revealed too much. These memes are scary, so I won’t tag anybody this time. But if you feel like doing this, please do so at your own risk.

11 comments:

WaterLearner said...

Hi Blur Ting!

This is really quite a "revealing" post. For us to know more about you.

It's no harm being honest with what you think, though. My humble views!

Anonymous said...

that was good and exactly what i imagined you to be like..some of those..esp about the kids.. are right on..and i feel the same way. seems we got a lot in common! *sigh* still working on mine.....

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

I found you by the acts of Soul..and this was a truthful gut written approach to your life.
I know what you mean with:
kids and being "average"
Conflict crying
money and the saddling of debt (perfectly said)

I try to live simplistically..to keep my boys in that same view..

Good for you for the honesty!
Always,
Crusty~

Blur Ting said...

Yah Waterlearner, somehow, blogging provides the platform for us to reveal our souls, sometimes too much :-P

Yay JY! We're soul sisters! Like you, I believe in giving the kids a good and fun childhood like mine.

Hey Crusty! I see your name every single day in Soul's blog! Welcome to my humble blog! Glad we share the same views ^_^

Mike Minzes said...

Great points Ting! I can tell you are a sweet, loving and kind person.

Amel said...

GREAT post, Blur Ting! I LOVE every paragraph you wrote!!!

The Real Mother Hen said...

You do live that way Ting.
All these years, I only see you giving love and attention to people around you, especially your kids.
You're really a good mom.

SOUL said...

i can't handle being yelled at either. i do not deal with conflict very well at all from wither side.

hope you are having a conflict-less day!
:))

Unknown said...

I cry too when I get yelled at.
And you are right...these memes are scary.

Blur Ting said...

Thanks everyone! I try to be nice, but I do have my 'mean' days too.

Soul & Seagrape - Phew, I haven't been yelled at for the longest time, and boy, am I thankful for that!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Blur Ting

Very thoughtful and sincere answers.
Your kids must be proud to have you as a mum.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...