Friday 22 June 2007

Superheroes

If you can be a superhero, what super power would you like to have? I asked.

Best friend, who’s sitting next to me, said, “I wish I could stretch my arms and grab that thing over there.” You mean like in The Incredibles?

YK said, “I wish I could clone myself so that my clone can go to school while I play on-line games at home!” SK wanted to be invisible so that he can get into all kinds of mischief without being caught. CH wished he could fly.

“Fly?” I exclaimed, “You can slowly fly to our next holiday destination, I will teleport!”

Yes, that’s right. How I wish I can teleport to anywhere I want in the blink of an eye. I love traveling but being stuck in a plane for hours really sucks. Maybe I’m just unlucky because I always end up with a kid who’s kicking my back or one in front who would bring the seat all the way down until it reaches my nose. Ok, I exaggerate but oh, how I hate flying.

I dislike the arduous check-in process, the crowded airports, the smell of diesel before the plane takes off. During take off, I shut my eyes and chant “Om mani padme hom” till we’re up there, safe among the clouds. I dislike the hours spent on the crammed seat (I'm a cheapo, no first class or business class for me) and the nauseating smell of plane food wafting through the cabin. I hate turning this way and that, trying to catch some sleep and waking up with a stiff neck. I love kids but wailing babies onboard ... now that's another story.

During descent, my head often feels like exploding. I pray that the pilot is skillful enough to make a smooth landing. I’ll walk out in a daze, looking like shit... limp hair plastered to my head and skin totally dried out like a lizard. For days after that, I’ll be shouting because of partially blocked ears. Don't even talk about jet-lag.

I used to arrive on the other side of the world feeling like a light-headed zombie who has left her brain at home. I’ll sleep for days when I get home, body rhythm totally messed up.

So you see why I wish I could teleport. Oh, one more thing... a Miss Universe contestant wished she could have a wallet that keeps producing money. I would like to have that too!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could be invisible, read minds and fly... a super superhero!!!!!!

Blur Ting said...

Wow! An ambitious one :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm liking the invisible idea. I also wish I could teleport myself to a warm, sunny beach at will!

Blur Ting said...

Don't you both want that wallet too?

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...