Thursday 24 May 2007

Vacation vexation

As you would know by now how excited I am about the Turkey trip. Honestly, deep down inside, I have been worrying….

At first, I was concerned about the election crisis looming ahead. I was at the edge of my seat when the demonstration was going on in Ankara. So thankful it blew over without incident. I started watching for signs of other developments. When I read about the street protest in Istanbul, I started getting nervous. We’ve already paid in full. Should we cancel the tour now or wait a little longer?

So when Abdullah Gul’s candidacy for president was annulled, I heaved a sigh of relief. Maybe we should just go ahead with our vacation afterall.

Then came the news of the bomb blast in Ankara that killed 6 and injured 80 people. This was the last straw. I can’t do this. I don’t want to go on a vacation watching my back or looking for suspicious characters. I certainly don’t want my family and friends worrying about me. For goodness sake, it’s a vacation!

We're going to change plans. It’s going to cost us because last minute changes will not get us any refunds. According to the travel agent, the tour will still go on because it is no big deal. Bombs will go off anywhere anyway.

We’re planning to go cycling in Provence instead. The consolation is, at least it would be safer to be amongst cows and olive trees.

I can’t believe what a turkey I am! But better safe than sorry. My life is worth more than a thousand bucks!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

... I feel for you it is so upsetting when you're mentally prepared for a vacation then your plans have to change because of unforeseen circumstance.. but your life's more precious.. come to Dubai some time... I'll show you around... but make it winter coz you'll hate summers here.

Cycling in Provence sounds heavenly...

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...