Sunday 4 March 2007

Those rebellious years

During those rebellious years of my adolescence, I was always making mum angry. In my old family albums, I sulked more than I smiled. But I wasn’t always that grouchy. In school, my friends called me Ms Sunshine but at home, I was mostly Ms Sulky.

It must have been hard on my mum. I know, because I am dealing with two teenage boys now. They can be charming and loving one moment and totally obnoxious the next. Sometimes I wonder what I ever did to deserve the way they are treating me. My best friend says it’s pay-back time. :-)

As teenagers, they are self conscious and easily embarrassed. Nowadays, they don’t like hanging around with me very much. They can also be down right opinionated and think they know it all. When cornered, they’ll say “Look, I’m going through a sensitive period…” and leave me feeling exasperated.

I know it’s normal for teens to challenge their parents' values, beliefs, and practices as a way to test parents and assert their independence. So, meanwhile I'll have to put on my best behavior and be a supporting mum. Boy, I can't wait for them to grow up quickly!

No comments:

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...