Wednesday 14 March 2007

A desirable place

Singapore has been crowned the world’s most desirable place for Asian expatriates. This is the fifth consecutive time that Singapore has beaten 254 cities to take top spot since the annual Location Ranking Survey started 15 years ago by Hong Kong based human resources consultancy firm ECA International.

While many expats agree that Singapore is one of the world’s best places to live in, I often hear nothing but complaints from fellow Singaporeans. They complain about our expensive housing and cars, the education system, the lack of social welfare and freedom of speech, the job market, the government, the size of our island, the lack of natural resources, the influx of foreigners, the law, the traffic, the humidity, the heat...the list is endless.

Singapore is a great place to live in. I feel blessed to wake up everyday without having to worry where the next meal is coming from. Or whether there is going to be another earthquake, snowstorm or hurricane. Or a siege or bomb attack. I know that the kids are safe in school and will have lots of opportunities to further their education or seek employment right here when they grow older. And that they can walk in the streets without getting mugged.

I know that the tropical weather is perfect for my skin and for the plants in the garden. I love that I can step out of the house in a light cotton top anytime of the year without catching a cold. I can go camping, hiking or sun bathing all year round, or even steal a getaway to our neighbouring countries in a heartbeat.

I relish the huge array of food that is widely available and so affordable too. Yet, I can step into the swankiest restaurants and clubs when I feel like living it up. I even love our Changi Airport that is amongst the best in the world. And appreciate the fact that we can almost fly to any city in the world without any stopovers or special permits. Or that everywhere is within easy reach on our little island.

We probably have the nicest looking cars on the road. I think traveling by public transport is cheap and convenient. I appreciate the cleanliness and greenery around us. And the racial harmony that we all take for granted. I like our unique culture and even our weird Singlish accent.

I am grateful that we do not have beggars on the streets and that almost everyone has a roof over his head. And that we have a high literacy and low unemployment rate. I am thankful that running a business here or expanding overseas is not that difficult.

Sorry if I sound like I am gushing but I have read and seen enough about what’s going on around the world to know a good thing when I see one.

3 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

I agree totally with you. I honestly think that Singapore is the best place on earth to live. You know if Singapore is being attacked now, I'll probably join the army to defend Singapore. Robin too will do that.

Blur Ting said...

Oh wow, really? Then I'll join the army too. But seriously, after visiting many places, I learn to appreciate Singapore more. If we can't join the army together, I hope someday you'll both come back and retire together with me.

Anonymous said...

Most importantly, the bassinet needs to have a wide, sturdy base.
In choosing a pram, first of all you need to make a
decision as to what features you want. Though this article might
be of great help in your decision to buy a baby bassinet,
try to find out more on baby bassinets by reading reviews and other articles on the internet.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...